Tuesday, October 6, 2015

New Records

Are you a member of Ancestry.com?  I have been for many, many years.  I love getting emails saying that I may have new records.  I have been getting more and more of those emails lately.  Which makes it super fun.  Who doesn't love presents or surprises.  

One new record on a relative, kind of, sort of answered a question about a relative.  My great grandfather came from Italy, got married and had 4 girls.  But I noticed that most of the census records have him living separate from his wife and kids.  Sometimes in other states and often hours away.  I figure he went where the work was, which is probably still true.  Or at least I will kind of continue to think that.  But apparently that is not all true as the document below shows.  He was arrested for abandoning his family.  So he wasn't even getting money back to them.  Which of course answers the questions of why he is not on census records with them.  But this also makes me sad, knowing my grandmother and family probably grew up struggling.  

I will admit that it does make me wonder.  Did he have other relationships?  Does he have other kids out there? Isn't it funny how when you find something new it can answer questions and then create more.  This is the joy of genealogy, continuous questions!  I love the thrill of the hunt!!  

Have you found anything new and fun??  I would love to hear more stories!!  
 Sing Sing Admission Records

No comments:

Post a Comment